I found this one floating around at a few blogs. Since I haven't posted in awhile, I thought I'd play along.
1. When you dislike a book, do you say so in your blog? Why or why not?
Yes, I do. It's pretty rare but I have taken great dislike to a few books since I started my blog. It actually leads to some great discussions in my comments section.
2. Do you temper your feelings about books you didn’t like, so as not to completely slam them? Why or why not?
I try to be balanced and give strengths and weaknesses for each book I review. I do realize that authors work very hard and are very proud of their work. There have been a few where this was not possible. I did slam at least one book that I can think of.
3. What do you think is the best way to respond when you see a negative review about a book you enjoyed?
Sometimes I'll leave a comment pointing out something I liked from the book. However, each reader brings their own opinions and life experiences to a story so it's important to acknowledge that as well. Every one is entitled to their opinion. I welcome debate on my own blog and have had some great comment exchanges with people who disagree with me.
4. What is your own most common reaction when you see a negative review of a book you loved or a positive review of a book you hated?
I think that's part of the last answer. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
5. What is your own most common reaction when you get a comment that disagrees with your opinion of a book?
I love when that happens. It means that someone read what I wrote and really thought about it. I would never delete a comment like that. Sometimes, those type of comments will make me think and readjust my opinion. Other times, they make for some great debate. That's part of what I enjoy about book blogging.
6. What if you don’t like a book that was a free review copy? What then?
I haven't had the chance to get any review copies yet. I have gotten some free books directly from authors. I haven't reviewed them yet but will note that I received the book from the author as a part of my review. I still intend to be honest because the authors deserve my honest opinion.
7. What do you do if you don’t finish a book? Do you review it or not? If you review it, do you mention that you didn’t finish it?
That hasn't happened recently. I tend to put a book aside and come back to it. If I truly don't finish it, I wouldn't review it. I would probably just write a short entry indicating that I gave up on the book. Hopefully, someone who liked the book might give me a good reason, or encouragement, to try and finish it.