Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Lighthouse by P.D. James

Okay ... I think I'm one of the last people to discover James. Even my husband, the non-mystery reading one, knew the character's name and had seen something done on PBS. I found this book at our Maui condo (more on that another day) and left three books behind in exchange.

Strengths of The Lighthouse: The plot and characters reminded me of the old time mysteries where there were a limited number of suspects forced together by circumstance. This time it was a remote island and an outbreak of SARS (a bit dated, perhaps). I pretty much had the murder solved three-quarters of the way through the story because the author left a good, but not overly obvious, trail to follow. This is part of a series which I've come in on midway but still enjoyed the character development and their relationships with each other.

Weaknesses of The Lighthouse: I like this quite a bit. Since I didn't know the characters, I was a little confused in the first three or four chapters, but it didn't seem to matter too much by the end.

Overall, it was a fun read. I was a bit intimidated by James and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this one.

No comments: