Thursday, December 27, 2007

Booking Through Thursday - Favorite Reads this Year

It’s an old question, but a good one . . . What were your favorite books this year? List as many as you like … fiction, non-fiction, mystery, romance, science-fiction, business, travel, cookbooks … whatever the category. But, really, we’re all dying to know. What books were the highlight of your reading year in 2007?

I was hoping for this BTT question! I decided to make a list based on the reading challenges I did this year since that's how I kept track of most of what I read. I started this blog in July so this represents only the last half of 2007.

Book to Movie Challenge: My favorite was Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo.

Canadian Reading Challenge: The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields is in the running for my favorite of the year!

Book Awards Reading Challenge: This one was a tie. I really liked Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haight. However, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is also in the running for my personal book of the year.

2nds Challenge: I was pleasantly surprised by The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett.

Favorite New Series: This wasn't actually a reading challenge but it was a series I found this year. I am really enjoying the Andy Carpenter novels by David Rosenfelt.

Least Favorite of the Year: I know this wasn't the question, but I wanted to put it out there anyway. I absolutely hated Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell and The Freedom Writers Diary by Erin Gruwell.

And now .... my favorite book of 2007!





11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Those look like some great books!! I'm probably one of the few people that didn't like Poisonwood Bible, but I think I should probably re-read it.

Anonymous said...

I loved Poisonwood Bible too. I read The Stone Diaries in 2006 and really want to read more of Carol Shields.

softdrink said...

One of these days I'm going to read Because of Winn-Dixie, especially since I never saw the movie. Thanks for reminding me about it.

And Stephanie is not alone...I didn't like The Poisonwood Bible either. I thought I was the only one on earth.

BookGal said...

Stephanie and softdrink - I actually started and stopped Poisonwood a few years ago. It wasn't for me then but for some reason I loved it this time.

Kristy - I also read Unless by Carol Shields recently. It was different from The Stone Diaries but I liked it too.

Literary Feline said...

That's a great way to do up your list, using your challenges as a guide. I tried to read Poisonwood Bible a couple of years ago, but didn't get too far. I think it just wasn't the right time for it. I hope to try again someday.

oneluvgurl said...

You HAVE to read Veronika Decides to Die! It's a great book and I loved it. It was recommended to me during a time of depression and it gave me hope.

Happy BTT!

alisonwonderland said...

i totally loved The Poisonwood Bible when i read it back in 1998; good choice for your book of the year!

i'm going to have to check out Andy Carpenter; i hadn't heard of that series before.

(now i know why you said you'll be interested in seeing what i think of Book of the Dead ... i'll let you know!)

Framed said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only who didn't care for The Poisonwood Bible although I like some of Kingsolver's other books. I'm doing the Canadian Challenge as well so I'll be interested in your other reviews.

seethroughfaith said...

ah another bookworm - pleased to get to know you. Your list is amazing :)

Much Ado said...

The Poisonwood Bible is one of my all time favorites too! happy New Year!

BookGal said...

Literary - That's how I felt about it a year or two ago!

One - I got a gift of Barnes and Noble money for the holidays so I think I'll buy it!

Alison - I'll keep my eyes out for it.

Framed - I'll look for your Canadian reviews too.

Lorna and Much Ado - Thanks for visiting.