Thursday, February 21, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Format

This week's BTT question is a short, but sweet one. This is a hard one for me because I don't tend to keep a large library of books, as many of you already know. Anyway, here's the question:

All other things (like price and storage space) being equal, given a choice in a perfect world, would you rather have paperbacks in your library? Or hardcovers? And why?

I think in a perfect world I'd want two copies of all my books. One in hardcover (autographed, of course) for the shelves of my cozy reading room. I'd want the paperbacks for bathtub and travel reading. I also prefer to read paperbacks in bed because some hardcovers are just so heavy.

If this is truly a perfect world, I'd be able to leave my paperbacks behind in my travels for others to read. I'd also get to pick up other people's paperbacks, and have the corresponding hardcovers waiting for me in the home library.

I guess I'd need either magic or a personal book assistant for that one. Actually, that sounds like a great job. Personal book buyer for a voracious reader who loves to share. Anyway, that got a bit off track, and I'm not sure I really answered the question.

I'd love to know what other people thought so leave me a comment.

8 comments:

pussreboots said...

With BookCrossing you can leave your finished books for others to find and if you're lucky, you'll find a book that someone else has left behind for you to read.

Teena in Toronto said...

I cam to the realization a little while ago that I would like one of each too!

I played too!

Jeane said...

My sister used to leave books to other people when she traveled abroad! Always with a paperback or two in her purse, and when she was done with it, she'd swap it with someone on the plane. She got a new book, and so did they!

Literary Feline said...

Are you accepting resumes? ;-) What a great dream!

After careful thought, I don't think I'd want two of every book. One would do me just fine. I do like the idea of traveling and leaving books behind for others while picking up other people's discards . . .

CJ said...

That's a great idea - two copies of each!

cjh

Maree said...

Two copies is a good idea. An every day reading copy, and one for Sunday-best :)

Anonymous said...

Perfect indeed! Two copies!

Sigh!

BookGal said...

Puss - I just discovered BookCrossing. I have a registered book right now. I need to look into it.

jeane and literary - I've left books in hotel rooms and rented condos while on vacation. I've never thought to actually trade with someone but it's a great idea!

cj, maree, and gautami - I'd have to have a really big library room:)