Thursday, February 14, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Valentines

Here's today's BTT question. It wasn't the one I was expecting, but it was quite easy for me.

Here’s something for Valentine’s Day.

Have you ever fallen out of love with a favorite author? Was the last book you read by the author so bad, you broke up with them and haven’t read their work since? Could they ever lure you back?

I recently fell way out of love with Patricia Cornwell. Her last book, Book of the Dead, was simply awful. I am still ranting about it. I really don't think anything could lure me back to this author. I know I won't read anything else she's written.

I also went through a period where I was hooked on Dan Brown. He's the author if The Da Vinci Code. I got to the point where all the books and characters started to run together. I don't think I could be lured back, because I don't think he can change. If he were to publish something that was remarkably different, then I might, notice might, be tempted to read it.

There are a number of authors where I've never been able to read a second book. E. Annie Proulx is a great example. I loved The Shipping News, but haven't liked anything else. I haven't even gotten to page 30 of anything else. But I don't think that really qualifies as an author I'm in love with. I took it to be an author I'd read a lot of and then became disenchanted.

I'm curious to know what other people picked!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have heard similar experiences about Cornwell, but I haven't read any of her books myself. On the other hand, I am right there with you on Dan Brown. I loved The Da Vinci Code, but every book after that felt like the same exact storyline with the same characters. What a disappointment.

Happy BTT!

Anonymous said...

You raise an interesting point about what qualifies as being in love with an author. Like you, I've read and loved 'The Shipping News', but I've never felt inclined to pick up anything else by Proulx which means I ought to be asking myself why.

Lori said...

Ditto for me on Cornwell. I categorize her with a more prolific author I fell out with, Dean Koontz. When the stories all start to resemble each other and the plot lines are identical, they have devolved to creative typing. Not writing.

Literary Feline said...

Patricia Cornwell is one of the authors with whom I fell out of love also. I gave up on her after reading three in a row that left me wishing I hadn't bothered. Trace was the last one I actually read by her. It will take a lot to get me to read anything by her again.